does a negative perspective mean you’re a negative person?
The other day a friend of mine noted that I have a very negative spin on things. For example I usually start my conversations with "hey! wanna hear the saddest story ever?!" and things like that. Well, obviously I become quite defensive at her comment, because does it not make you a negative person to have a negative perspective? And if so, how am I a negative person?!?…well after thinking about this for a bit I realised, "wait! I do have a negative perspective on things!" and I know this can only lead to bad things…like being an all around negative person, someone who simply can't enjoy life.
Here is why I have a negative view on things:
- I always look at the bad things in people…and then only when someone else refuses to see the good in them I point it out…but it's not the first thing I look for
- I am more reactive then pro-active; although I do take some proactive stands many time, most of what I do or what I think is based on improving something that's gone wrong; simply put I solve problems, I don't create/do new things for the sake of creating/doing new things
- I have a tendancy to complain a lot of the time; you may have noticed that from the posts on my blog
- it takes effort for me to be in a good mood, to smile, to be spunky or bubbly etc; I am happy most of the time and usually excited about it but I have difficulty expressing that…I do it in a more subtle, mellow way
- I do in fact focus and look at negative stories more so than positive ones…in fact that's kind of how I gear my school newspaper…controversy sells!… the paper is free:P
- I'm a very sarcastic person, which from what I hear, is a negative trait
So, how do I improve and become a positive person:
- think happy thoughts–>try to counter pretty much everything stated above
I'm not totally hopeless:
- I love helping people! I really enjoy it!
- I am very passionate about a lot of things, and passion is a very positive trait
- I may complain, but I love my life right now! Sometimes I find myself just so overcome with excitement and happiness that I have this huge grin on my face, I'm hyper and giddy:D
- I love people! definately a people person…most of the time!:P
- Always looking for ways to improve myself so that's a plus
- I don't know…I'm just an active, passionate, ambitious person so I can't be all bad…?
Game Plan to Posivitness:
Who wants to go through life with a negative attitude and outlook?! I sure don't! So my latest slef-improvement project: think happy thoughts!
Thanks Karen for opening my eyes to my negative tendancies. Seriously! I love your honesty! Tnx!